Monday, February 27, 2012

Lesson One: Cuddling

Sometimes it's time to cuddle, and a cat knows when that time is. A good human should accommodate this. For example, I really enjoy early morning embraces, and mum knows this. I’ve trained her to lift up the blankets so I can curl into her belly (and knead the oh-so-soft skin if desired). I can further define early morning as between 4:00 and 5:55 am (before the alarm goes off – I know I’m off the game when that damn thing bleeps and I’m not in bed, then its a racing game to get there before mum stirs, although I normally have five minutes up my tail).

I’ll let mum off every now and then for being tardy, or non-responsive. The other night I really felt like a cuddle. Mum had only been asleep for a few hours, but it was snuggle time, I could just feel it. After insistent prodding and walking across her face, she didn’t budge, her soft breathing similar to the dog in slumber, so I managed to poke a hole under the blankets myself and assume snuggle position. When she did wake, her hands automatically started patting me. I do love a well trained human.

Sylvie sleeps on the bottom of the bed, in between mum’s legs, so with both of us in place mum is pinned down. When the weather gets cooler, Kinky will probably join us, so three cats will be sufficient heating to ensure that the dog isn’t brought in for heating. The dog always stinks of sweat, stale grass and cat poo. Who would want to use that for cuddle-time?

Back to my main point, cuddle time. Your human should be accommodating you when cuddles, pats and head rubs are required. This does not, however, work in the reverse order. Be wary less they think they can command a cuddle at any time they want. Even if you do agree a cuddle may be nice, make sure at least 60 % of the time you give them the cold shoulder, turn your back, close your eyes or walk off. And if they try and pick you up for a cuddle embrace, claws are permitted, for their own benefit, to keep them in line.

Prof. Griff



Figures 1 and 2: Professor Griff demonstrates the blanket mode of cuddling, without human prop.

No comments:

Post a Comment